Регистрация: 3 месяца, 1 неделя назад
Non permanent Floor Protection - A Product Guide
Your floors want special protection when undergoing remodeling, throughout new building, moving heavy furniture or equipment, and for other occasions beyond day-to-day use. Protecting flooring makes sense and saves money. A spill of paint, the drop of a hammer, a scratch from heavy furniture can cost 1000's of dollars in replacement and repair costs. This article describes surface protection products for floors so that you can make informed decisions on the most effective product to use on your needs.
Types of Protection Packaging:
Floor protection products are commonly packaged as either:
(1) Products by the roll: These embody common adhesive films, rolled paper products and rolled textile protection. Protective materials purchased by the roll are commonly measured in thickness by mils (e.g., 2.5 mils thick as much as 48 mils thick).
(2) Products by the sheet: These embody corrugated plastic, masonite, and other inflexible protection. Protective supplies bought by the sheet are commonly measured in thickness by the inch (e.g., 1/four-inch thick) and usually come as 4 ft by 8 feet.
Type of Flooring Protection:
Paper protection is suitable for all hard surfaces and resilient surfaces however does not work well to protect carpets as it can tear when flexing under footsteps. Paper products are breathable in order that glue fumes and cement curing vapors can escape. One disadvantage to paper products as they require tapes to safe them to flooring and tapes can typically depart adhesive residue when removed. Widespread paper protection products include:
· Kraft paper is a lightweight brown paper that's cheap but doesn't afford any impact protection and may simply tear
· Scrim paper might incorporate coatings or reinforcements to make them water-resistant as well as scrim threads to reinforce the paper and prevent tearing. These improved papers are longer lasting than common Kraft paper or rosin paper nevertheless they are also too thin to supply a lot impact protection.
· Rosin paper is thicker than Kraft paper and may be very low cost. Rosin paper is recycled, felt paper that ranges from 9.zero to 11.5 mils thick. The massive drawback of using Rosin paper is that it might cause a permanent stain if the paper gets wet. Rosin paper may also rip easily so it not usually advisable to be used
· Corrugated cardboard rolls or sheets will also be used to protect flooring. Corrugate provides impact protection nonetheless it shouldn't be coated with a water-proof finish and must be kept dry always so that it does not disintegrate. Cardboard products are additionally available as single-, double-, and triple-walled corrugated cardboard sheets or as a fan-folded stack.
Polyethylene (PE) films are sold as self adhesive rolled films various from 2.0 as much as 3.5 mils in thickness. They trap any moisture from escaping so they shouldn't be used on any floors which might be curing. Two of the great benefits of polyethylene films are that films will flex and contour so they can be used on carpets as well as hard surfaces. These films don't provide any impact protection and are usually rated for brief time period use of 30 to 90 days only. Polyethylene films are designed for one-time use and don't use recycled materials making them a poor alternative in sustainable protection. Protection films are available in quite a lot of adhesion "tack". Hard surface protection films may have a decrease tack and coloration than carpet protection which wants a more aggressive glue to hold onto carpet fibers successfully.
Plywood and Masonite are commonly used as protection on commercial projects with a lot of foot traffic. Masonite is a wood product made from wood fibers unlike plywood which is an precise sheet of thin wood. Both plywood and Masonite are sold in the usual dimension of 4 ft by eight ft and are more costly per sq. foot than paper or polyethylene products. Masonite is commonly 1/8 or 1/four inch thick. Plywood is commonly 1/4 inch to 3/four inch thick. Both products provide impact protection on a variety of floor types and provide adequate protection in opposition to heavy equipment use or furniture moving. Each plywood and Masonite are breathable and reusable nevertheless they're bulky to hold and store. These wood sheets should be used on high of a softer protection akin to a rolled textile as they easily scratch flooring. These sheets work well to protect carpet as they forestall wrinkles when rolling heavy loads over the carpet. Plywood and Masonite don't provide moisture protection and might be harder to chop to dimension than other protection types.
Textile products are commonly manufactured from recycled cloth. In addition, these rolled protection products often have added benefits akin to skid resistant backings or breathable plastic liners. For wood floors, these specialty textile rolls are highly recommended as they are breathable, skid resistant, reusable, usually leakproof and simple to chop to size.
So as to receive the complete benefits of utilizing surface protection, proper application is a must. The floors needs to be clean (vacuumed or swept) previous to covering with the protection products. The proper choice of protection needs to be made in order that moisture will not be trapped on floors which are still curing. Trapping moisture can cause a full product failure and can invalidate a wood floor producer's warranty. For heavy traffic or loads, several protection layers may be needed.
In summary, there are numerous decisions in temporary floor protection available today. When selecting a protection product, it is smart to consider the price, period needed, breathability and potential to reuse the product. Successful floor protection also contains proper set up and preparation of the floor. Always comply with the manufacturer's advice to be used so the potential for adhesive transfer is avoided. Protecting valuable floors is a sensible funding in time and money. Surface protection specialists are additionally available to help you select the best floor protection in your needs.
Тем начато: 0
Ответов написано: 0
Роль форума: Участник